Dimensionally stable material ideal for electrical applications
Why choose Acetal/Delrin?
- Excellent electrical properties
- Good dimensional stability
- Low creep
- FDA compliant
What are some common Acetal/Delrin applications?
- Bearing applications
- Electrical components
- Medical devices
- Food industry machine parts
Acetal as a copolymer, or Delrin as a homopolyer, has excellent mechanical, electrical and wear properties, as well as good dimensional stability with low creep.
Acetal is available in black or white in off the shelf stock shapes.
This is a great material for bearing applications because it has a low coefficient of friction and wears well in both wet and dry plastic machined applications. In addition, it has low moisture absorption and high dielectric strength finding uses in electrical products. With a high melting point, acetal machined parts can be used in continuous exposure to temperatures up to 185 F. and burst exposure to 200 F. It has good resistance to solvents, though strong acids and bases should be avoided. While Acetal and Delrin both have grades of good stiffness and toughness, Delrin has slightly higher mechanical properties. The extrusion process for Delrin suffers from centerline porosity in sheets. Generally Delrin sheet products are not water tight. Other notable properties are good hydrolytic stability and resiliency.
Controlled Fluidics uses many varieties of Acetal, including:
- Extensive range of colored acetal rods
- ESD Acetal plate from 0.125” to 2” thick
- ESD Acetal rod up to 4” thick
- Laser markable Acetal rod up to 1.5” diameter
- UV stabilized Acetal plate up to 1” thick
- Silicone/PTFE lubricated Acetal rod up to 3” diameter
- 20% PTFE lubricated Acetal rod up to 10” diameter
- 20% PTFE lubricated Acetal plate up to 2” thick
- 20% glass fiber reinforced Acetal rod up to 1” diameter
- 20% glass fiber reinforced Acetal plate up to 2” thick
- 30% glass fiber reinforced Acetal rod up to 1” diameter
- Carbon filled (electrically conductive) Acetal plate up to 2” thick
|Grade||Product Characteristics||Common Applications|
|Acetal||Low moisture absorption, low coefficient of friction,||Medical devices, electrical components, mechanical components|
|Delrin||Outstanding fatigue endurance, high impact resistance, natural lubricity||Pumps and beverage valves, medical devices, wear surfaces|
Does this sound like the right material for the job? Talk to our engineers and get your project started today.